So it's been two years since my last post! Wow... I'm so sorry. My life is chaos with two kids. To the person that said "One child is a pet, two is a zoo": You could not be more correct! Lol.
Anywho, a few changes have happened since I last posted:
- I switched schools- BEST. DECISION. EVER.
- When I made that switch, I went back to teaching 1st grade bilingual (LOVE!)
- This year, I'm teaching 2nd grade.... monolingual! Interestingly enough though, I teach in a very large latino area, so the Spanglish still stands. =) Yay!
This year, has been pretty rough- I have 34 students! Yikes!
With 34 students, you can imagine how many pencils one would usually go through in a day- the beginning of the school year had me wondering if student were seriously eating their pencils; needless to say, it was
After all the BOY (Beginning Of Year) transfers, I was FINALLY able to sort it all out! I assigned all my students a number (this is their number for the entire school year), collected ALL THE PENCILS, and got to work!
- Give each child their assigned pencil.
- Explain, to students that when they find a missing pencil, they need to either find its owner OR give it to the teacher.
- You can do one of two things:
- Give them pencils every two weeks (yes! I swear they will not lose them!)
- Exchange their pencils for a new one when the old one no longer fits in your classroom sharpener.
It's kind of tedious at first, but I promise you that you'll have a bin full of pencils!
Here is an actual pic of my current pencil bin (keep in mind that I have 34 students!)... I took the picture 5 minutes before I wrote this post!